Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rescue Turtles, Wildlife Management, our small Texas Ranch and my Glass


About a week and a half ago, a friend of ours that owns apartments, went to check on one of his rentals to find that the renters had moved out and left their fish tank with "a" fish, a hamster in it's cage and their tank with 2 turtles in it. Whether they had left food or not I don't know for sure, but obviously with no-one there, the animals couldn't get food. I don't care for people that just go off and leave their animals or decide that they can come dump them in the country for us to take care of. What they don't realize is we already have our own animals that we "responsibly" take care of and their animals will sit beside the road chasing every car coming back, hoping their owner is coming back to get them. Then they will wander off and either get hit and hurt or killed or we will have to shoot them, because we don't know if they're sick, mean or whatever. In case you can't tell this is a real pet peeve of mine! If people want animals in their life, then they need to take responsibility for them. If they can no longer care for them, then it is their responsibility to find homes for them or a shelter that can take them and then provide some support to that shelter. But I digress. Our friend had found a school here that wanted to take the fish and it's tank for the children to learn how to take care of and they had decided to keep the hamster. (He had taken all the critters home until he could find homes for them.) But he couldn't keep the turtles and couldn't find a home for them. In steps my DH. We have a water trough buried in our back pasture as a water source for the wildlife as part of our wildlife management we do on our small ranch. We told him we would take them home and release them in this water source and hopefully they would survive. We didn't know what kind of turtles they are and neither did he. But at least they might have a chance. So he put them in containers for us, we toted them home, cleared out some of the moss and grass that always overgrows this trough, put some rocks in so they would have a place to climb up without hopefully climbing out and then released them. They seemed happy enough with their new home. Although one of them was "not" happy with being handled, once they were put down at the edge of the water, they immediately took off into it's darkest depths. I go out every day or two and sprinkle a little food for them and look around. So far we haven't seem them, but we haven't seen anything floating, and there seems to be enough room around and under the rocks where they could hide/live. So unless they have climbed out and crawled off, we're hoping they will survive. At the very least they had a chance they wouldn't have had when their previous owners decided to just irresponsibly leave them behind for our friend to bring home and try to care for. Here's a couple of pics of my DH putting the rocks in for them and them being released.
This is one reason so many of my glass items have to do with gardening, birdfeeding or birdbaths and such. I love nature, animals and wildlife and like to provide for them and usually end up spending any money I make from my glass to either make more to sell or to provide food and homes for them. I'm a sucker for animals and I think they know it. :) Enjoy the pics and if you're looking for something to help the animals and wildlife check out my glass in my Etsy shop, KayzKreationz or my Artfire shop, also KayzKreationz.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you about people not taking care of their animals...it's like they figure they don't have any feelings but I totally disagree...animals do feel. Great you took care of the turtles.

GrandmaMarilyn said...

You did a wonderful job. Did you put some rocks up high enough so they could be out of the water? They need to get out in the sunlight and dry off every once in a while. I learned this from my daughter who has 2 red slider turtles that their other grandmother gave to them 3 years ago.

CT said...

Oh my Kay...Those little critters are so lucky that your friend found them. God bless them and you! - CT
http://www.ctjewelrydesign.com

Jane Public said...

Way to go Kay! Good work! I agree with you on the abandonment of the animals. It makes me so mad!!!
Cheri- itsmeCheri.etsy.com

KayzKreationz said...

Thanks all. Grandma, we did try to make the rocks high enough so they could just climb/crawl up and out if they choose. Just hope they don't do that and crawl off. :(

Kathy said...

Animals and children....why do people have them if they don't want to care and nurture them?

Great post!

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Thank you Kay♥

Jess said...

AAwww there cute! I hate when people are so iresponsable, and down right stupid! I am glad you were able to take them in and give them a home!