Monday, April 27, 2009

Reducing our Carbon Footprint

With Earth day having been this last week, a lot of us have been thinking about how to cut down on our trash, how to be/go green in our lives, what we can do to recycle and help the earth by reducing our carbon footprint. But did you realize you can reduce your carbon footprint by mowing your yard less? In a e-newsletter I get, they had this interesting short article. Maybe we can all learn something from it. I found it very interesting. Although I try to not mow or water often so as to make my grass more drought tolerant and for it's own health. I think you might find this article interesting also.

Many people are interested in reducing their carbon footprint in an effort to save energy and limit global warming. While driving less is one of the most obvious ways to do this, mowing your lawn less can also help.
Researchers at the Agricultural Institute of Canada in Ottawa calculated the amount of carbon emissions saved by mowing the average lawn less frequently. Researchers mowed plots of cool season grass lawns only 3 times a year and compared the carbon emissions with mowing similar plots every week. They measured the emissions from mowing a lawn at 0.4 pounds of carbon dioxide per square foot of lawn. To put this number into perspective, if you have a 2000 square foot lawn, mowing only 3 times a season will cut the carbon dioxide emissions by 600 pounds. That’s the equivalent of cutting back driving a car that gets 20 miles per gallon by 600 miles.
For a bigger picture perspective, when multiplied by the 50 million acres of lawn in the U.S., we could potentially reduce carbon emissions by more than 600 trillion pounds just by mowing less.

I also try to recycle glass for use in my products in my glass shops at Etsy and Artfire, both named KayzKreationz and I try to recycle packaging to help save my customers money and to help save trees and reuse items. You can check out some of my recycled items at either one of my shops.
For more great info about gardening, check this out.

6 comments:

Sinclair said...

We use a push mower for most of our mowing. It's an extra workout, but saves electricity, gasoline, emissions, and helps build muscle.

KayzKreationz said...

That's great. We used to have an old push mower until it broke. Looking for a new one.

Mr Lee said...

gooooooood!!!!
Hope your all doing well.Look forward to further communicating with you.
And we invite you to our blog.Thank you.

http://www.china-cutter.blogspot.com/

Kati said...

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that you won a prize on my blog. Check it out.

Please shoot me an email @ countygirlcitylife @ live .com

CT said...

I'm with you Kay. Less mowing more time to be creative! Great post! - CT
http://www.ctjewelrydesign.com

KayzKreationz said...

Thanks, CT. Now if I could just get everything else done I need to do so I could actually create and list. :)