Friday, February 22, 2013

Rustic Wrappings Book Review

The second of the books I received from Interweave/F+W Media , On Sale Now, is Rustic Wrappings by Kerry Bogert.  I had been eyeing this book for quite a while. It looked so interesting and I love wire/metal work.  Kerry is a jewelry maker that focus' on glass and wire. She has authored Totally Twisted, as well as written numerous articles for more than a dozen trade publications.  She has also contributed designs to five other books.  She lives in upstate New York.  Every time I see some of her work, I fall in love with it all over again.  It's fantastic.  And she doesn't let the reader down with this book, Rustic Wrappings.  This book is fantastic. She starts out in the intor with what inspired her to go with rustic jewelry and the things she'll cover in the book to get that rustic feel. (I love rustic)  Then Kerry writes about the basic tools we'll need to re-created these rustic beauties.  And she's all about using what you have around the house in place of some tools.  She describes each one briefly and pictures them so you know what you're looking for/at. She goes into 'Beyond the Basics' after that.  The next chapter is all about the metal. She explains the terminology and what gauge/type she recommends or likes. There's a wide variety here, Sterling Silver, Copper, Brass, Steel, even Anodized Color copper wire which is becoming widely used/loved.  It adds that POP of color.  She then describes Basic Techniques and has quite a few short tutorials on how to make your own loops, ear wires, clasps, etc. to make your jewelry not just your own, but unique.  One thing she mentioned that I really liked is to find a style of clasp you really love and use it all the time in your jewelry as a 'signature' for your jewelry.  I love this idea and intend to implement it in my jewelry design.  After that we get into the Patina recipes. I love patina (especially on copper, which is my wire/metal of choice) and have been wanting to figure out different types of patina for my jewelry.  This chapter is great. She tells us what is the best patina for the wire we're using and how to do it.  Most are very simple, easy methods, although care is always needed as all the chemicals can be harmful.  One of the next things she discusses is Wire Embroidery, which she has been experimenting with for a while, but saved for this book.  I actually have done a couple of pieces using this technique, but not to the extent she describes and uses in the book. It will add a very unique look to your jewelry.  She then describes exploring rustic color and places/things to use to get that rustic color.  For instance, Seasons, Places, the Elements, even Emotions.  Finally we get to the projects. I have to say, they are all so wonderful, I had a hard time trying to figure out any one 'favorite' project.  I can't wait to try them all in one degree or another.  A great thing about her projects (to me) is that while reading about how to create them, you immediately start thinking about how to 'tweak' this or that to make it different or your own.  That is what a great book/teacher is all about and this book had me doing that immediately.  It helps you create your own look.  One of my favorites though, was Aurora Necklace.  I loved the wrapped loops, the beads, the technique, everything. I can't wait to try this one, as well as the Sprockets in Pockets bracelet. I have actually tried to make the loops she has in this bracelet, but with the tips in this book, I think my next try will turn out much easier to do and much better looking. The Western Ways bracelet at the end of the book is another fantastic design I can't wait to try especially since it adds fiber to the piece.  I've started using silk, ribbon in my designs and love it.  This is a must have book in your library. It is available at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and Interweave. Here's a sample page of some of the fantastic projects in this book.



(The book above was provided by F+W Media for review. The author of this blog has not received any other payment from above-mentioned company. The post above represents only personal opinion of the blog author.)

Check out my shop, KayzKreationz, for my wire-wrapped jewelry, Stained Glass, Mosaics and Fused Glass items for your Home and Garden.  If you're looking for my review of Steampunk Emporium and the giveaway, go here.  Giveaway will end tonight.

No comments: